Beet Kvass - Makes 1 large 2.5litre Jar
Beet Kvass is an amazing health tonic with powerful medicinal qualities such as aiding in digestion; combats fatigue; cleansing the liver; good treatment for kidney stones; alkalises the blood. Beetroots are packed full of nutrients.
3 medium beetroots peeled and chopped in small cubes
1/4 cup whey (250ml natural yogurt)
1 tbsp Himalayan salt (not table salt)
2 litres filtered water (NOT tap water as chlorine will prevent fermentation)
2.5litre sterilised glass jar
1. To make the whey, place the natural yogurt in a cheesecloth, tie it up and hang it over a bowl. (The thin white liquid that starts to drip from the bottom is the whey).
2. Place the beets in the bottom of the glass jar.
3. Add whey and Himalayan salt. Next add filtered water.
4. Cover with tea towel or cheese cloth and leave it in a cool place for two days to ferment.
5. Close the jar with tightly fitted lid and store in the fridge. This lasts for few months in the fridge.
6. To drink, ladle about 80ml during morning and at night. The beets at the bottom can be eaten which are lacto fermented vegetables.