Updated: Jan 7
50g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
50g oats flour
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp mixed herbs
2 tsp flax seeds powder
60g finely grated cheddar cheese or any other vegan cheese of your choice
20g ground almonds
1 tsp or either poppy seeds, chia seeds, grounded pistachio, or cumin seeds.
60g chilled vegan butter
For pastry glaze:
30ml almond milk
1 tsp maple syrup or agave nectar
1 tsp mustard powder
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 4 and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
2) Sift the flour, baking powder, herbs, pepper and flax seeds powder into a mixing bowl and add the ground almonds, grated cheese and poppy seeds. Mix it all together.
3) Rub the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Work it into a dough, using the warmth of your hands to make it come together into one piece.
4) Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out into a rectangular shape about 1cm thick. Cut into 8-10 long lengths and put them onto the prepared baking sheet.
5) To make the glaze, pour the milk into a small bowl and whisk in the syrup and mustard.
6) Brush the pastry with the glaze, then bake them for 15-20minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Please don't forget to leave us a google rating or give us a review on facebook and we promise to continue bringing you more exciting healthy recipes and wellbeing news.