Raab (Gluten Free Porridge)- Makes 2
2 tbsp ghee
5 tbsp millet flour
2 cups hot water
3 tbsp jaggery
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1 1/2 tsp ginger powder
Pinch of saffron
2 tbsp mixed nuts (pistachios, almonds)
1. In a jug, add boiling water and jaggery. Whisk well until jaggery dissolves in water and there are no lumps left.
2. Heat ghee in a deep non-stick heavy based pan on medium flame.
3. As the ghee melts, add millet flour. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, continuously stirring and until the flour turns golden brown in colour.
4. Switch the gas flame to low heat. Add jaggery water and mix well.
5. Switch the gas flame to medium-high. Add the spices (cardamom, ginger powder and saffron). Cook for 1/2 minute while continuously stirring with a whisk until the raab is of thick consistency. (You can add a little more water to make it runny and liquidy).
6. Pour the raab in a tea cup. Garnish with mixed nuts and serve immediately.