Poha and Squash Kulcha’s.
Makes about 20 kulchas
INGREDIENTS FOR KULCHA DOUGH:
4 cups Wheat flour
1/2 cup yogurt (vegans can substitute coconut yogurt)
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Himalayan salt or as per taste
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds powder
1 1/2 approx cup warm water for binding the dough
INGREDIENTS FOR KULCHA STUFFING:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion finely chopped
2 tsp garlic paste
2 cups poha (flattened rice) soaked in warm water (for 2-3minutes)
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp green chillies crushed
Handful fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
1 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt or as per taste
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp flaxseed meal
2 cups butternut squash boiled and mashed
2 tbsp baobab powder or amchur powder
1. To make the dough, combine all the ingredients first and mix well. Then add oil, yogurt and water as required. Form into a soft dough, cover and allow the dough to rest for at least 2-3 hours.
2. Heat a non-stick pan on medium flame and add oil. Once the oil is hot, add onions and sauté for a minute or two until translucent.
3. Next add garlic paste and mix. Add poha, cinnamon powder, cumin powder, green chillies, coriander and Himalayan salt. Mix well.
4. Cook for 2 minutes until the water from the pawa dries up.
5. Add turmeric powder, flaxseeds meal, butternut squash and cook until no water is left.